A Legacy for Canada’s Future
Canada has some of the most diverse and stunning geography in the world. We have thousands of kilometres of coastline where you can stand and watch the ocean ebb and flow on and on, forever. We have snowy mountain peaks, and in lower BC, we even have desert! From the mighty forests to fields and flatlands, we are all guardians and protectors of a priceless treasure. And once it’s gone, it’s gone, leaving behind polluted air, dirty water, dead fish, and countless illnesses such as asthma and cancer which stem from chemicals and pollution.
When we pass on, we have a responsibility to protect this treasure for our children, our grandchildren, our nieces and nephews. The Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment has been fighting to protect our air, our water, and our land for twenty years, and we will keep up the fight for our health and the health of our precious environment.
A gift in your Will (or a planned gift of any kind) is a powerful legacy, and an irrefutable commitment to our land and our health. If you are considering leaving a gift for CAPE, please consult your Financial and Legal Advisors about your options.
Please also give us a call at 416-306-2273 and speak with Kim Perrotta, Executive Director (extension 2) or Vera Krutzler, Fundraising Director (extension 3), and we will gladly provide any help we can in making this important decision.
What is Planned Giving?
Planned giving means making a gift for the long term. Endowment funds are invested to help ensure that CAPE can continue its mission to protect Canadian health and environmental health beyond our lifetimes. When you make a planned gift, your gift will continue in perpetuity. Part of the sense of satisfaction that comes from making a planned gift lies in the knowledge that we can make a lasting impact; we can leave a legacy for generations yet to come.
Popular Ways to Give
- Appreciated securities — Transfers of stocks or mutual funds may be made directly from your brokerage account to CAPE. For more information on this, please click here.
- Bequest in your will — Give a fixed amount or item (or property) to CAPE. Some donors prefer to designate a percentage of their estate or donate the residual amount left in the estate after all other bequests are granted.
- Life income plans — Life income plans such as charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts may be set up through the Foundation to benefit CAPE. Donors receive a charitable deduction when the gift is made and income throughout their lifetimes. The remainder goes to CAPE upon the death of the donor.
- Beneficiary designations — Donors may make a significant deferred gift by designating CAPE as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy or retirement plan. There are many ways to give through life insurance and retirement plans, some of which may have benefits to donors.
- Personal property — Personal property such as automobiles, works of art, antiques, coin or stamp collections, jewelry and other items also may be given CAPE.
Suggested Legal Wording
The following sample will clauses are intended as guidance for you and your legal advisor, and are not in any way intended to serve as legal advice on the part of CHEER. To ensure your philanthropic wishes are met, we encourage you to seek the assistance of a financial or legal advisor. Please click here to download these suggested wordings to share with your advisors.
“I give to The Canadian Health and Environment Education and Research Foundation currently located at 215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 405, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2C7 ________ ( % ) of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate to be used for its general charitable purposes.”
“I give to The Canadian Health and Environment Education and Research Foundation currently located at 215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 405, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2C7 the sum of $__________ to be used in support of its general charitable purposes.”
WHEN PREPARING YOUR WILL, PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR LEGAL NAME IS:
The Canadian Health and Environment Education and Research Foundation
405 – 215 Spadina Avenue Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
Charitable Registration No: 892557414RR0001
If you have left CHEER a legacy gift, please fill out our confidential Statement of Intent form and send it to our office, to the attention of Fundraising Director Vera Krutzler. If you have any further questions, you can contact Vera at (416) 306-2273 ext 3.